- LOL, yes! MT @DBH819 #ElonGrad this weekend. Piece of advice for Class of 2013 - Don't misplace your diploma while taking photos. Right @ me 2 days ago
- Fans talking Ravens on The Fan. #cmonman 2 days ago
- Nice outing by Hammel. #orioles 2 days ago
- Mickey Tettleton is here! #Orioles instagram.com/p/ZomX1kosRB/ 2 days ago
- I could've made dinner in between pitches by Kuroda. So slow. 2 days ago
- Cool shades, Yankee bros. #letsgoOs (@ Oriole Park at Camden Yards - @mlb for New York Yankees vs Baltimore Orioles) 4sq.com/Z0Mo7Y 2 days ago
- We need to get Buck to narrate something. He's a character. #Orioles 3 days ago
- RT @roarfrom34: That about sums it up. #Orioles #Dickerson http://t.co/Ci5FodemMS 3 days ago
- #winning #Orioles 3 days ago
a collection of random thoughts and ideas from me, her, and sometimes us
Tag Archives: rain
last sunday was finally the big day. bee’s first half marathon. she ran the flying pirate half marathon in the outer banks. she trained for months to prepare herself and knew she could finish so we were there to see that happen. interestingly the race was on sunday. the weekend was filled with races and this was the “premiere” event for the weekend. there was also a 5k and the storm the beach event. as we got to the weekend, we heard the weather wasn’t going to be great, but that wasn’t the end of it, it was a mess. on saturday, the weather was great as we enjoyed a few hours on the beach and then come sunday, it rained. and poured. and rained some more. it almost prevented her from running all together but as we got to the start line and it wasn’t pouring, she decided to go with it. everyone else seemed to be running and not worried about it.
for those familiar with the outer banks, the race starts over by kitty hawk elementary and goes along the road on the sound side. from there, they went around the wright brothers memorial and then onto some of the back roads and finally through the nags head woods conservancy. the race ended at the YMCA in nags head.
after dropping off bee, i ran to walmart and got sign making materials to make a sign. she didn’t know about the sign ahead of time and only sort of remembers seeing me with it as i waited out by the memorial, but it was worth it. i went to two of the sight see-er stops and then finally to the finish line. she remembers seeing the sign although she doesn’t remember seeing me at the first location but at the second stop, i didn’t get the sign out because it was pouring. from there i moved to the finish line and waited for her arrival and cheered for her as she ran by right before the finish line.
we both ended up being soaked when all was said and done and clearly her more than me, but it was an interesting experience. she ran her heart out and did what she set out to do, finish her first half marathon. oh and she finished at almost the exact time she thought she would too. i can say one thing, next time we hope it doesn’t rain. she has a great memory to hold on to and apparently a stress fracture in her left. we think it got hurt in the woods/off road section of the course where everything was uneven and a mess.
maybe next time, she will run it in a pirate costume or a tu tu like some of the other runners. haha.
the event/weekend was sponsored by the outer banks sporting events group and they do all the running events on the island. there is talk about running the half again next year or maybe the 8k in the fall. we’ll see!
needless to say, i was and am very proud of her and her accomplishment!