- RT @elonphoenixclub: The Elon community came together on Friday to raise over $215,000 for student-athlete scholarships at Night of the Pho… 5 hours ago
- Nothing like dropping five 10 foot boards on your foot to get the heart pumping. #ouch 1 day ago
- Rallying neighborhood support for @elonphoenix. Tough sledding today. #flamingo #snow #mdwx… instagram.com/p/BfUnbNDB7Kd/ 2 days ago
- RT @Kara_Nunnally: Happy Night of the Phoenix day!! 💛❤️ Don’t forget to check out the silent auction site here: qtego.net/qlink/elonuniv… bid… 3 days ago
- RT @elonphoenixclub: Guess what? This year's Night of the Phoenix silent auction is now LIVE online! Bid and be happy: https://t.co/PiInS… 1 week ago
- RT @littlerpund: Battle of Terra Firma. #funwithdad #adaptiveseat #dinosaurs #littlelion instagram.com/p/BfENBG3lQ3G/ 1 week ago
- When you’ve had one of those days (weeks) and you look through your photos and find this one.… instagram.com/p/BfCbfDBB6Xu/ 1 week ago
- #tbt Since we got married in 2010, this card has been in my wallet for at least 8 years. For… instagram.com/p/Be9UQBOBvyE/ 1 week ago
a collection of random thoughts and ideas from me, her, and sometimes us
BBA: July and August
August 4, 2016Posted by on
At the beginning of July, we took the boys to their one year pediatricians appointment . . . a rite of passage almost. Everyone has told us that making it through the first year of twins is the hardest. We took our pediatrician cupcakes to celebrate because of how crazy the year has been and how impactful she has been on our lives. The visit did not disappoint . . . BBA is almost 19 pounds and his head circumference charted in the 9th percentile (a marked improvement on past readings and a good thing – you want your head circumference to grow as you grow). BBB is almost 25 pounds and thriving.
Yesterday, we had an appointment with neurology and learned the following:
- BBA has a chromosome 2 duplication not previously reported in research (a variance of unknown significance). Essentially, the duplication either means nothing or it is so rare there is not a large enough cohort of patients to do research yet. Additional testing is necessary and we will glean more information next week at our genetics follow-up appointment.
- We are scheduling an MRI to get a better look at his brain and optic nerve. For his brain, we are looking for growth abnormalities to assess areas for caution/concern as he develops. They think his challenges lie in the basal ganglia which, overall, reduces his risk for seizures and large-scale development issues moving forward. For his optic nerve, we are looking for strength and size which would help to determine intervention ranging from patching his eyes to glasses to surgery.
- BBA continues to have amazing cognitive recognition and development and even with the new information, his progress is remarkable.
In other news, BBA’s physical therapist has him standing now (picture below) which gives him a chance to development muscle memory, strengthen his hip sockets with the hope that he gains strength, and PLAY WITH BBB and @littlepund! The three of them have loved interacting on a different level. It is amazing!!!